Thursday, May 22, 2008

Grad Student Wear

So this week, I'm working more in the lab than I have in awhile. The chapter I'm currently working on required me to do a bit more tests. Right now, I'm actually in the XRD room waiting for the instrument to align itself properly (which takes FOREVER!) so don't think I'm not working : ) I'm multitasking. (aka working as a grad student)

Anyway, when I work in the lab I usually have old clothes on in case I make a mess on myself. I've ruined enough shirts and pants before with acid or rust-colored yttrium iron garnet solution to know old clothes are the way to go in the lab. I do have a white labcoat i wear when I'm working with something that will stain or burn a hole through fabric when I'm wearing "nice clothes." I still feel like I'm playing dress-up when I wear it though. And last time I wore it, I was asked by my advisor why it was so white. I told him I had recently washed it, and he said that you're never suppossed to wash the labcoat. It's a badge of honor to see all the stains on it. I'll need to remember that.

Ok, sorry for going off on a tangent, back to my point: so not only am I dressed in old clothes today, but I'm looking pretty summer-grad-student-like today. I look tired. My hair is pulled back and probably would be best if I had worn a hat today. I need a shower. I have no make-up on nor any jewelry (except my wedding ring). I would take a picture of myself to illustrate, but I think you get the picture (plus, I don't think I have enough guts). In the summer, a lot of grad students do this. You're not teaching so you're not going to be in front of any people. And there's nobody else in the building (no undergrads) except other chemistry grad students and professors. I remember my friend Pam came to visit me the first summer I was working here and she told me she felt so pretty sitting in the hall. Because she was wearing cute clothes and makeup. Oh yeah, and she wasn't talking to herself.

Of course, Casen's daycare now has seen me in full-fledged grad student wear for a week. After today, I think I'm going to look nice tomorrow so they don't think this is getting to be a regular thing. Watch out labmates: I'm break'in out the white lab coat!

1 comment:

Whitneys said...

I love it! It's good to know to stay clear of campus during this time! shooweee :]