Wednesday, October 05, 2016

It's Almost Here

My first full marathon that is.

I had a friend ask me about a week ago, "It's almost here - are you getting nervous?"

I stared at her blankly.

"Your marathon?"

Oh that. I'm either blocking it out or I'm just ready for it to be over.
I'm past the nerves (for now). I'm ready to be fast again and just have to run 13 miles. I had heard others say the same thing about their marathon training. It's a lot of time and miles, and something happens to my body after mile 18.

This is me after 14 miles with 8.25 left to go on my last really long run. 
It gets incredibly tired. And a bit emotional. I might have cried a bit when I hit 20 miles. From pain? From disbelief of what I had done? Because I'm a little crazy? Yes to all of the above.

I've been tapering. I'm in the grumpy-because-the-way-I-can-burn-away-stress-has-been-taken-away-to-rest-my-legs stage. Leave me the coffee and the chocolate and run walk along.

I got to do a short long run on Saturday and was joined for part of it by two of my running friends.


It was a celebration of sorts. Pam had just been released from knee surgery recovery, Hartman is building back mileage from heart surgery, and it was my last "long" run. It was a good way to wrap up my marathon training (I've had a couple short runs this week, but I'm all done now). I've had so much support from friends and family about my running. Makes me thankful for all of the special people in my life.

Here's to hoping Sunday is a good running day!

No comments: