Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Sacred Flash Drive


Since 2006, I've carried a flash drive around with me in my purse. You might be wondering what's so important on the flash drive. Pictures of my cute kids? Wedding photos scanned in case our house catches fire and everything burns? Some super-secret computer program because I'm a spy?

Nope.

My proposal and dissertation from graduate school. Along with data, images, etc. from my research.
Why am I still carrying this around?

In graduate school, when you begin to write, wait scratch that. When you begin trying to think of an original idea, you become a tad paranoid about losing your written ideas. When you start writing (probably one of the worst things I've had to do), you are plagued with thoughts of What-Ifs. What if the school burns down along with your laptop and EVERYTHING you have written? What if your house burns down and you lost ALL your work? What if both the school and house burn down and you lose your laptop AND your back-up copy? (That's when you start emailing yourself documents.)
I guess the habit of carrying around that flash drive hasn't died. Maybe its time to let it go. But what if...?

I did use it yesterday. I needed to look up something in my proposal. And wouldn't you know it? I still had the Sacred Flash Drive in my purse. Maybe I'll stop carrying it around...next year.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I love this post! I also love your new background. If it has been changed for a while, I apologize for just now noticing. I've been wanting to change mine for a while, so I checked out the site you used and made the move. Thanks for the inspiration!

April said...

Ha ha! I can imagine having those same thoughts in that situation. I don't blame you!

April said...

I'm the same way with mine! If I don't have a visual then I freak out and start tearing things apart to find it. I was a victim of a "what if" when I lost my flash drive with all my graduate school work on it moving from Texas to Arizona...my doctoral flash drive is never out of sight! Ha!

Mom aka Kimberly said...

Too funny! At least you did get to use if recently - that will probably make it okay if you want to carry it with you for a few more years - ha ha!

Unknown said...

Well, it’s better to be safe than to be sorry so hold on to it! Hahaha! I think flash drives are one of the greatest innovations in technology, aside from the online storage device. Having one lets you store your most important files and you can carry it anywhere as well.

Nannie Salyards