Wednesday, April 17, 2013

28 weeks: Welcome 3rd Trimester

Button and I have entered the last trimester - yippee! 

I wanted to confirm this fact so I looked it up on the Internet (my pregnancy bible - What to Expect When You're Expecting is in the other room - and we all know I'm not getting up off this couch!). This is what The Bump reported:

Third Trimester: Starts at the beginning of the 28th week after your LMP and ends with labor.

Well, I'm glad they specified an end time.

I could tell I had entered that last stage when for the first time during my whole pregnancy, I worked all day, picked the kids up, heated up dinner, played, picked up the house, bathed the kids...all before Josh got home. I can't remember the last time I had that much energy. It's a BIG blessing.


It's the week before finals and just like the students, I'm pulling late-nighters to get work done. Last night, I decided that since it was after 1 AM, I would go ahead and have a snack and take my nausea meds. Usually, I wake up around 5:30 AM to eat a snack, take nausea meds, and go back to sleep for another hour or two. Well, I still woke up at 5:30 AM and so did Button. My stomach was growling and Button was wide awake kicking...kicking so hard, she woke Josh up whose back was against my tummy. Josh asks, "Is she kicking me?" I said, "Yep. Welcome to my world." I tried to go back to sleep, but I finally gave into my hunger and her kicking and got up and ate. Needless to say, I'm hoping both Button and I get more sleep tonight.

Though I like my sleep, I do like to feel her move so much. She stretches a lot, pushing herself out my side. She's 1.5-2.5 lbs now and over a foot long.

Finally, what's a pregnancy update without another crazy thing someone had enough gall to tell me?

I hadn't worn any heels in awhile, but lately, I'm feeling better including my back. I broke my heels out Sunday and wore them Monday to school, too. I should have known some old man would offer his opinion on my wardrobe (pregnancy must attract nosy old men).

Old man: Should you be wearing heels?
Me: Uh, I'm okay for today.
Old man: I doubt your doctor would agree.

I had no response. I just turned around and walked away from his strong opinions of heels. I should have told him I know when I can handle wearing heels and when I can't. Plus the beauty of being in my office so much: I can take my shoes off inside my office if needed.

Finally, I had a meeting with other chemists recently (not just from my school). If you put a group of chemists together, you can bet that there will be socially-awkward conversation. Adding a pregnant chemist to the mix really creates an awkward atmosphere. Here are the comments I was told:

"Wow, looks like you have something growing inside you."

"I would ask you what happened to you, but I think it's pretty obvious."

"Don't you know what causes that by now?"

No questions about my due date or gender of the baby. Nothing like that. But I didn't expect anything else. I had my first kid in grad school surrounded by chemists. Remember this? (Read the blue part at the end)

No comments: