Saturday, October 25, 2014

Plan

I'm a planner. After about 15 years of knowing each other, Josh knows to always humor me by listening to my (our) plan is for the day or evening. I'm also probably raising little planners. Both the boys like to know the plan of the day.

Planner C happy about his latest bike ride without training wheels.
There's a lot of good things about being a planner. Planners get things done. Almost always on time, maybe even early.
But it's hard being a planner. Life doesn't always cooperate.

Button pulling out her pigtails 30 seconds after I got them done.
I was in desperate need of a Fall Break. This mama needed a break from the kiddos and have some quality time with the hubs. My mantra for the two weeks leading up to break time was, "Power through! Then you can sleep and relax!"

Never a dull moment with L Child around. Here he is pretending to be Daddy.
Imagine my horror when Josh got sick a couple of a days before my break, but I was hoping he would be his usual Strong-Immune-Self and be well by Friday. I cleaned out my car and packed it up, ready to drive the kids to JJ's.

Found a shank in the backseat of my car. Apparently, I need to start doing pat-downs before the boys get into the car.
It ended up it was some Josh-targeted-virus that lasted about seven days. He would be feeling okay for a bit, and then it would hit him hard again. It wasn't the Fall Break I had planned, but we still got to have some fun together.

And I'm pretty sure I found the best Mexican food in the area. It tasted like Laredo food - my ultimate standard for Mexican food.


I also made a late run into Wally World for some Gatorade for sick Josh. You might think that at 11 PM there would either be nobody shopping or maybe two lanes open. No such luck. One long line of suckers like me too lazy to hold the Gatorade so I just kicked it across the floor while I waited in line.

Not my proudest moment.
Neither was my king size Nutrageous purchase.
Back to work on Monday, and it was a rough week for Button. It's hard being 15 months, but sometimes I think it might be harder being a parent to a 15-month-old.

I came home from a late-night run to find this girlie wide awake and doing her own run around the house. 
Warning: She's not always this cute at 4:45 AM.
After a week of too short of nights, lots of time-outs (for both Button and I), and energy spent with two energized boys ready for their school to start back up, I keep reminding myself that this stage won't last forever. It made me feel better when Mr. Brightside Josh referred to children as "epic plan destroyers." I'm learning that it's okay that we can't always follow a plan. I think that's one reason God gave us children. He's reminding me constantly to let go and trust Him. Adub sent me this devotional thought this past week:

" Even while interacting on that cluttered plain of life, you yearn for a simplified lifestyle. So that your communication with Me can be uninterrupted. But I challenge you to relinquish the fantasy of an uncluttered world. Accept each day just as it comes. And find Me in the midst of it all. Talk with Me about every aspect of your day...Remember your ultimate goal is not to control or fix everything around you. It is to keep communing with Me. A successful day is one in which you have stayed in touch with Me. Even if many things remain undone at the end of the day..."

Yep.

1 comment:

Sharlene said...

Oh, Mandie Jayne I really needed this post! The part I needed was the devotional, I just sat back and enjoyed the rest of it. How I remember those days when it was smart to make tossing out any plans I might have had!

Hang it there, the years are flying by and you'll soon be laughing at your "babies" say "Why did I even make any plans?" Love you, Sissie