Thursday, October 12, 2006

Dental Woes

I went to the dentist today...I hadn't had a cleaning in maybe 10 years..maybe more like 8 years. That's the bad thing about grad school - I get health insurance but no dental insurance. The good thing though now is my husband has a job with dental insurance. My teeth were suprisingly pretty clean, but of course I had cavities. And I am going to have a crown put on a tooth (a back molar thank goodness). The dentist was really nice...we talked about hydroxyapatite...a bioactive material found in bone and teeth and a material I make in the lab. Hydroxyapatite when used as or on an implant will grow into the bone. It was neat to listen to the doctor's experience firsthand with the hydroxyapatite implants they use. I think people secretly like to talk about nerdy things...whenever people find out I'm studying chemistry, most people will talk about "chemistry things" with me. I of course secretly love it too! ha!

7 comments:

Joshua Nichols, MS, LMFT said...

Hydroxyapetite? Are you kidding me? Do you want people to stop reading your blog? Ah...I love you anyway.

Amanda said...

it's hydroxyapatite...not "petite".
and i love you anyway.

April said...

Ha ha, I'm glad you can have such intellectual conversations with someone but I just don't think I can help you out with that. :)

Robert said...

We actually talked about hydroxyapetite in one of my classes the other day. Can't tell you what was said about, I just remember writing it down in my notes wondering who else in the world would know about it. Now I know of at least two others :)

Amanda said...

what class was it?

Robert said...

Hazardous Materials and Waste Management

Amanda said...

hmm that's intresting