Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ice Mountain

Sounds like a good title to some action-packed movie. Nope, it's just what our front yard has become. As many of you know, our house sits high up on a hill so our driveway and front yard is very steep. Now that it is covered with several inches of ice, it's crazy trying to leave the house. Since the ice hit, we had to park our car on the street since it couldn't get up the icy driveway. Josh couldn't break the ice up either in our driveway; it was so dense. I think as the days go by, the front yard is getting slicker and slicker. This morning began the Ice Mountain saga. Josh went out to start the car to get it warmed up. He calls me from the road to tell me he can't get back up to the front door - it's too slick. He proceeds to tell me what I must do - leave the items we don't absolutely need and slide down with the day's necessities. I slide his gym bag down the mountain first. Then of course my gym bag gets stuck halfway down by the only rough centimeter area in the whole yard. We had to take Padme with us to drop her off at the vet for her second hip surgery. Josh said if I throw down the lease (fully extended) he'll catch it and direct her towards him. Uh, it didn't work. The leash wasn't long enough and Padme just ran back inside the warm, non-slick house. Not to worry, I get to take her along with me and my other "necessities" down the mountain then. So I slide down our front yard on my butt with my backpack, purse, and Padme on a leash with Josh yelling out, "Don't forget your gym bag - kick it!" I manage to kick the bag down and get all of me down the hill. It was so cold that my butt isn't even wet. At least that's a positive. We get in the car and I wonder how on earth we're going to get back up to the house when we get home.
When we got home (thankfully Padme has to stay the night at the Vet's so it's just Josh and me), we decide to go along the fence line and hang onto the tree branches. I felt like I was in some movie - holding on for dear life onto a thin tree branch and pulling myself up a mountain. I slipped a lot but never fell completely down. All this is taking place with me laughing too hard and slipping some more and Josh asking, "What are you doing?" What do you think I'm doing? I'm trying not to die. We made it inside without any falls. Five minutes later, Josh bribes me with a hamburger to go with him to Braum's to get milk. Nice. At least, we entertain the neighbors.

3 comments:

April said...

I wish so much that I could have been there to watch you climb up and down the "ice" mountain! HA! Love ya

Annie said...

Oh, how I wish I could have been there. That would have been super. I've had some fun this week, too getting up and down the front steps of the house. I returned to three inches of sleet in wichita on Tuesday. Fun times! Good luck!

April said...

Ha ha, that's a great story. It brings back memories from a big ice storm that we had when I was pretty young. We had to slide down our yard as well and couldn't park the car in the driveway either. It was a lot of fun trying to get back up to the house. :)