Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Top Security Saturday

So this past Saturday, I had a local chemistry meeting in Ponca City. Ponca City is about 45 minutes away from here so it wasn't a bad drive. I just rode along with another grad student so I didn't have to drive. Nothing like waking up early on the weekend. The meeting was held at the ConocoPhillips facility. Talk about top security. We had to go to the correct gate and get checked in and told where to park. Then we park and there's another worker that is there to tell us where to walk towards. Then we get near the building where the meeting is at and another employee is present making sure we go that building and not run off somewhere trying to plant a bomb. As we go into the conference site, we are checked into the meeting. We have to go upstairs to where the presentations are held, and we pass by an escalator. There is another security guard babysitting the escalator (even though its roped off). I think the basement held all their trade secrets. I was hoping someone would have tried to make a dash for it into some forbidden area. I wanted to see somebody get tackled.
All in all, it was a pretty good local section meeting. I had the best lunch I've ever had at one of those meetings. You would think ConocoPhillips might have some mula or something. That evening Josh and I drove to Blackwell to meet my cousin Annie for dinner. It was a good visit, and we laughed with her as usual.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Yeah for laughing with cousins!!!

Joshua Nichols, MS, LMFT said...

I think you've been watching too much 24.

Mom aka Kimberly said...

Hey - why didn't you "make a dash for a forbidden area" yourself? I would have loved to see that! I agree with Josh - maybe you have been watching too much 24.

Mom aka Kimberly said...

I just realized you didn't include any pictures in this entry - no camera or where you afraid they would confiscate it? (boy I hope that is spelled right!)

Amanda said...

they probably would have confiscated it! haha
actually, i feel like a big nerd taking pictures at nerdy conferences.
ha!