Thursday, October 29, 2009

His Own Space

Case is really developing into that stage where he wants his own space. Or probably, he's just growing up. I remember that's one of the key points in a book (and parenting sytle) Josh and I really like called Screamfree Parenting: that kids need their own space. It began awhile back when he started wanting to just go to sleep on his own in his bed. Now at bedtime, sometimes he wants to rock a bit, sometimes he just wants to lay down in his bed. He's been going into his room and shutting the door telling us bye-bye. He'll play in there for a bit. He also will leave our room and do the same thing. He has been rocking on the glider by himself and reading books. Many times, Josh or I can get him set up with a bunch of books and take care of whatever we need to (shower, clean, etc.). It gives us a small window of time. Last night though was a first. He asked me to go play with him in his room. So he led me to his room by the hand. He wanted to rock he said. I soon found out he wanted me to get him situated with his books on the glider. I thought he wanted me to sit on the footstool and read with him like we do a lot.

Nope.

He told me, "Leave." He wanted to read alone in his room by himself!

So I went to the livingroom, enjoyed talking to Josh without any interruptions, but got up myself (interrupting the conversation) to peek around the corner to spy on the little boy. He's getting so grown-up!

1 comment:

April said...

Wow, Heidi is getting more independent too. One morning she played in her room by herself and let me get some unpacking done. It was nice.