Thursday, October 15, 2009

Leg Cramps and Pchem Dreams

I'll blame it on pregnancy: awful leg cramps and crazy dreams.

About a month ago, I woke up with a start when I had a horrific leg cramp shoot through my calf. This time I was prepared though. During my last pregnancy, most of the times that I would get a leg cramp, I couldn't get awake all the way so I just screamed while Josh tried to figure out what was wrong with me. Not this time - I jumped out of bed and started walking around. Of course, I'm crying and yelling about it because it took forever to get it to stop cramping. Josh also is a pro this time around. He rolls over, looks at me, and says, "And so it begins..."

So I've increased my potassium intake and it's helped most nights.

But about a week ago, I started having an awful leg cramp while I was asleep dreaming about pchem. I was dreaming about what I had taught that day in lecture - the Carnot cycle. I couldn't get myself awake all the way to realize I need to get out of bed and walk. Nor could I tell Josh why I was moaning and crying. All I could think about what how I needed to calculate the amount of energy that was put into the system to do a certain amount of work. I kept thinking, If I figure that out - this pain will stop. Ultimately, Josh got me awake enough and pushed me out of bed (which is definitely needed by this time) so I could walk around.

Ah, gotta love that last trimester of pregnancy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I never had leg cramps , but I can SO relate to the dreams where you are trying to figure something out and you think that if you can get it figured out, it will fix everything. I even had dreams where when I woke up, whatever it was I was thinking about made NO sense, even though it was awesome in my dream. And I've woken up laughing out loud at a joke in a dream, only to discover that my "joke" was just a random string of words. Pregnancy does really strange things to dreams!

I hope your leg cramps get better soon!

April said...

I hated those leg cramps! I had them all the time when I was pregnant. I hope it gets better. I did stretches every night before bed and I think it helped too. It describes what kind of stretching to do in the "what to expect" book.

kellie said...

hahaha. sorry, amanda, i know those leg cramps hurt, even when i'm awake, not doing pchem calculations and not pregnant. but the way you tell it, i just can't help but laugh.