Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hail 2010





In Oklahoma, we have to name our weather. In December it was The Big Snow 2009. In January it was Ice Storm 2010. I decided to name the awful hail we got Hail 2010....some people got tornadoes out of these storms. It was pretty bad.
I was at Target when it hit. Thankfully, we got hail there but it wasn't big so my car was fine. These are the pictures Josh took at the house. His truck got some dents and his side mirror got cracked. Somehow we didn't lose any windows in the truck or the house. Our roof? Totaled. And due to the high number of claims, we won't see an insurance adjustor for a few weeks. Casen enjoyed picking up the ice and for days later he would ask for ice to fall again.

I drove to my parents' apartment to pick Liam up. It was freaky trying to get there - roads were flooded because the hail was blocking the gutter drains. Steam was rising up from the hail on the ground so in parts, you couldn't even see more than a foot in front of you. Traffic lights were out. I finally got to my parents' by an alternate route (which included driving on a gravel road), and their complex looked like a war zone. All windows were gone. The siding looked like someone took a machine gun to it. Leaves were everywhere creating a green blanket over the broken glass. Liam and Mom had spent time in the closet while my dad blocked the windows.

Its been a week now since that hail, and you can still see where the hardest-hit areas are located. I'm thankful we all were safe - the tornadoes it produced in the state were some bad ones.

1 comment:

Mom aka Kimberly said...

It was an awful storm. I'm thankful no one we knew were hurt and didn't suffer more physical damage from the storm then they did! I too love the fact that Oklahoma has names for their storms. Still can't get over the weather newscasters! But I am thankful we have them!!!! : )