Sunday, August 26, 2012

Some Other Books I'm Reading...

...or just finished reading.

Since I'm recovering still, I've gotten to read quite a bit.  I'm on a WWII reading kick currently. Here's the latest:

The Tiger in the Attic: So-so. I liked the style of it: stories from the author's life during WWII weaved together chronologically. At times, it was pretty wordy. It also was disheartening at times in terms of faith (or rather the lack of). I wouldn't recommend this book.

Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account: It's informative and scary. Pretty graphic in parts, but I'm glad I read it. Just because something is unpleasant doesn't mean we need to shy away from it and pretend it didn't happen.

Was God on Vacation?: I'm not done yet, but it's a great true-life adventure! It's about a Dutchman sent to a concentration camp during WWII. There's more to tell, but I don't want to spoil anything. It's a bit rough throughout - sorta choppy. The author isn't an experienced writer, but a man relaying his part in history. The story is worth reading though, and I like his honest struggle with his faith in God. I'm anxious to finish the book and see how (and if) the author makes his peace with God.

I finished Was God on Vacation? There's some concluding remarks about how the author makes peace with his enemies.  I wish there had been more about how he reconciled his faith after the war. Nevertheless, it was a good read.

Clara's War: I have about a hundred pages left, and I'll probably try to finish it tonight or tomorrow. This is a story about a young girl who goes into hiding during WWII. A polish family hides 18 jews. It's based upon the diary the author kept during the hiding. This author is truly a gifted story-teller. I've cried, laughed out loud, and gasped with my heart racing. There is also a lot of discussion about faith and courage. This book will make you think about your faith and ability to stand up for what's right.

I finished Clara's War last night. I loved it. I probably would re-read this book. It's up there with Corrie ten Boom's The Hiding Place.

No comments: