Tuesday, August 28, 2007

College Lessons

Last week my parents were in town (pictures from the fun coming soon!) so I didn't get a lot done at school. Today I was back to the old grind trying to get things done. Due to the overwhelming amount of people on campus and the lack of parking (there's construction everywhere), I was lucky to get a parking spot in the overflow lot. It's quite a walk from there to my building (especially in the heat carrying a laptop) so I ride the bus. It seems that every year I have at least one bus story - especially after a long break of NOT having to ride the bus. I always forget about the bus culture over the summer. I was reminded of it today.

Annoying Things About Riding the Bus:

1. Girls wearing extremely short skirts so when they sit across from you, you can clearly see their underwear.

2. The bus driver has the music up so loud (I'm sure he thinks we're enjoying it after a long day of work), that you have to read lips when talking to someone.

3. The bus driver playing some random stupid music that you really don't like.

4. Waiting for the bus in the hot sun because you barely missed the last one (happened both times today to me!).

5. Getting on the wrong bus and driving all over campus...then having to get off where they picked you up in the first place.

6. When the bus is so packed that you have to stand and hold on to the bar and try not to fall. Thankfully, I had a seat both times today. I've already decided that I'm going to give someone the guilt trip if they don't offer their seat to a pregnant woman when the bus is full. Ha!

I also taught my class today. It was a short lecture with a quiz. Here are a couple of things I think all college students should know:

1. Every student should know what section he/she is in - it's on their schedules and the way they are organized in my class. (I had to look up about 20 students so I knew where to find them on my grade sheet.)

2. Have some integrity. (It's obvious when you cheat - I either will see you or can tell from what two of you write. If you both think that P stands for Plutonium (it stands for Phosphorus) among other similar wrong answers, I'm pretty sure you guys were looking at each others' papers.)

I had a good class despite the minor annoyances. I ended up talking to a couple of students and was able to help them. I have some good students. I'm learning a lot too as I prepare for my lectures. I think I'm really going to enjoy the semester.

4 comments:

Joshua Nichols, MS, LMFT said...

You know, it seems that Stillwater is just a better place when your parents are in it.

**JJ** said...

sorry you missed the bus--twice---.. i would def give someone the guilty treatment if they don't give you their seat.. they should.. hehehe.. sounds like an interesting day..

Amanda said...

yeah when my parents are here they drop me off right at my building's door!! haha

Mom aka Kimberly said...

Wish we were there to drop you off everyday! I miss you both - we had such a good time with you guys and we are already looking forward to Thanksgiving!