Thursday, August 23, 2007

What do you want to learn?

The school semester started back up again, and I'm teaching a lecture course this semester. It's been a lot of work getting it all together, but I think I'm going to enjoy the assignment. As usual, the students are a great source for entertainment. I asked my students what was one thing they wanted to learn about chemistry in this class this semester. Here's some of the most interesting responses....

"Pyrotechnic displays."

"Anything and everything you have to teach us!" (I giggled when I read it - what enthusiasm! I wonder if it's sincere..hmmm....)

"Nothing is related to my field of study so I doubt I'll learn anything I'll like."

"How to make slime."

And the best one? "I want to learn how to blow things up. I'm going to work in a bank some day."

Nice. A little scary, but for the most part, I have some enthusiastic students. Now I just need to find some cool demonstration I can do in class that involves bright colors and fire.

2 comments:

Mom aka Kimberly said...

Good luck with finding demonstrations with bright colors and fire - that you can safely do in class! Ha Ha!

April said...

I hope you are enjoying teaching your class this semester! Sounds like you have some interesting students. :)