Monday, August 10, 2009

Digital Textbooks...An Informal Survey

So I decided I needed a school story - it's been awhile, and I did have a hint that all my blog is about now is that little boy Casen (uh, Uncle jack : )

I recently read an article about Digital Textbooks, specifically about chemistry digital textbooks. It discussed how they work (and how depending on the publishing company, the options are different) and the pros (e.g. cheaper, and Green) and cons (the book-access expiring). Personally, I haven't even considered a digital textbook for any of my students because I wouldn't like it. I usually don't read anything digitally if it's long - I'll print it (I know, I know, very non-environmentally-conscious). The article brought up a good point though that many students aren't even buying textbooks anymore. I assume they share if they have to use the book for an assignment or just wing it. I did have some classes that the textbook was not needed since lecture covered all the pertinent information. I couldn't have survived any of my science classes without a textbook though. I think this semester I'm going to take an informal poll of my students to see what they think.

Any of my readers have their own thoughts - and preferences?

6 comments:

Jason and Erin said...

I try not to think about college... or textbooks... sorry... ;)

April said...

I like the idea..but I'm not sure they would be beneficial to me because I highlight and take notes in my books and old habits die hard!

Amanda said...

some digital textbooks allow u to do this - highlight and write notes - but only some

erin- i don't blame you haha

Charity said...

I dunno because it doesn't seem like it would be very convenient when you are cramming at 3am (as everyone does at some point) to have to sit and stare at the computer AND then transfer to your spiral/index cards ---awkward--- AND then go BACK over it....Maybe that's just me....It's great in theory though....but ppl would just end up printing out stuff like you said

Sharlene said...

Aunt Sissie enjoys the blogs about students, their stories ( & excuses,) and your classes, BUT... I do love a good Casen story. It's a great way to keep up on him and his development.

My vote is 1 chemistry story for every 2 or 3 Casen or Baby Boy stories :)

kellie said...

No way on the digital book. I would HATE that. Obviously I'm not spending my time reading textbooks anymore, but when I was, I wouldn't have liked digital. For one thing (and I know this is rare now), we didn't have a computer, so I would've had to do all my reading in the lab or my office. And, for those who do have laptops; it's just another excuse for them to bring the comp. to class and be on facebook :) haha. Plus, the expiration is a big con - especially if it's a book you might like to use later.