Thursday, August 27, 2009

How You Know If You Are Talking to a Scientist...

...Or a mathmatician...or an engineer:


He or she does math in his or her head.


And not just simple math. Usually some sort of conversion.


Case in point: At our meeting this week, one professor says, "It gets up to about 18,000 feet." Another professor replies after a few seconds, "So about 4 miles?" The first professor corrects him, "Actually closer to about 3 and half miles."


No lie. I can't do math in my head like that - and believe it or not, I don't have random unit conversions memorized.
Sigh. I have to admit - I'm a bit jealous.

1 comment:

Jason and Erin said...

Hmmm... I don't know about that. I think alot of those people have been using calculators for simple things for so long (like, since Junior high school calculus), that they can only do the hard stuff in their heads!