Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Size of Your Baby

For you mothers-to-be-again, you'll find this interesting.

My doctor told me today that there are 3 ways to estimate the size of the baby towards the end of your pregnancy.

1. Measuring your belly - the inches correspond with how many weeks you are. So if you're 34 weeks, if you measure 34 inches, then the baby is average size. This is what they do at your appointments each time.
2. Ultrasound - can be off by at least a pound (one way or the other). My doctor said this usually causes panic when you might have a 10 lb baby according to the ultrasound.
3. Mom's feeling - compared to your other babies, how does this one feel? Smaller or larger?

Apparently, studies have shown that the best way to estimate size is #3. That's right, mama's feeling.

So what's my feeling?
I think this kid is not necessarily any larger in terms of weight, but I think he's longer than Case was. Case would stretch out and roll around, but this baby stretches out way further than Case ever did. This one also doesn't really roll around - I don't think he has any room. All he can do is kick and punch me. Up into a week or so ago, his favorite punching bag were my upper ribs.

So we'll see if my prediction is correct. Case was 21.5 inches long.

2 comments:

Charity said...

good to know for my next one!

April said...

I'm interested to find out what the result is!