Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hair Changes

During my first trimester, I felt like my hair got really straight. It no longer had a wave to it, and it was really flat. Then a couple of weeks ago, my hair got its wave back. There are some days I can put gel in it and let it air dry wavy-kinda-curly. I remember my mom telling me that her super curly hair got stick straight when she was pregnant (and I've seen pictures as evidence). I went online looking for the scientific reason. I came across all kinds of women complaining of the hair changes; some even wrote that their hair didn't recover back to it original texture. I also came across this website that made this claim,

"L'Oreal in Paris believe that they have discovered what causes curls. All the answers lie in the bulb beneath your scalp. If the bulb is hook shaped, then your hair will be curly. If it is straight then your hair will be straight. L'Oreal scientists believe that the shape of these bulbs can be changed by hormones. Dermatologists also believe it could work."


It goes on to say that L'Oreal is developing some pill that can control your hair texture and color (from gray back to its original color). I'm not sure if that's true. I went to L'Oreal's website and didn't find any evidence of their specific research. I was surprised though to see that they have research sites all over the world that work on these things: understanding what controls texture and color and developing products to change those things. Apparently, there are scientists who see a need to develop a pill that we can take that can give us curly hair. Hmm, it reminds me of when Jerry Seinfeld is talking about the scientists who decide to go into fruit research and developed seedless watermelon. "Sure thousands are dying needlessly..but this [spitting a seed]...this has to stop!" I love that there are so many different aspects of research going on all around the world. Even though a lot of it you wonder if it's really that important.

2 comments:

Mom aka Kimberly said...

I can think of several things that could use more research dollars - curing cancer, preventing illnesses, finding a way to prevent mental illnesses, the list goes on.

But to be honest the thought of controlling this head of hair does appeal to me.
Interesting blog entry.

Amanda said...

I was telling Josh about this blog entry and I think it kinda makes sense why my hair was so flat the first trimester...I felt like the baby was sucking all the energy and nutrients out of me - I was so tired and having to eat all the time. But usually, I feel great now. I bet my hair is feeling the nice effects of nutrients and hormones of pregnancy.