Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How To Know If You Are a Mean Teacher...

This semester I'm teaching General Chemistry I. This is an interesting course. All science majors have to take it, but the people that take it are still early in their academic career. Students are not for sure if this the major for them. So many times, gen chem is used to "weed" the non-so-serious students out. As a result, even though it is a major's course, there can still be some whining and groaning. I haven't had any yet, well, no whining yet, but I have had some groaning already.
The last 3 days have inspired my new quiz. Take it if you are wondering if you are a mean teacher:
1. Do you make your students memorize information that could just be looked up in a simple text book or on Wikipedia?
2. Do your students need to come to class to learn the material instead of just being able to read and learn from the text book? (or again from the Wiki Wiki gods)?
3. Do you make your students during a black-out migrate to the windows so you can still lecture?
If you answer "YES" to any of these questions, you just might be a mean teacher! : )

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! My gen chem teacher was Dr. Baxter and while he was a wonderful teacher, he was HARD. So you had better be putting those freshman through the same stuff I had to go through! :)

Amanda said...

i had baxter too - he was great!
and yeah, uh, i'm probably hard. haha
i think it's a rite of passage - you have to survive chem I and II!

Jason and Erin said...

I whined and groaned through Chem I... and BAWLED through Organic!!!

April said...

Ha ha... mean Dr. Nichols! :)

Amanda said...

organic made me cry too